Select grade below

WAFL: Subiaco bounce back with win over Demons

Tuesday, June 14, 2022 - 12:17 PM by Matt Paddick

Subiaco are back to their winning ways, taking a 14-point victory against Perth at Mineral Resources Park on Saturday June 11.

In a see-sawing contest, the Lions’ third term saw them retake the lead to a margin that proved too much for the Demons.

The backline for Subiaco was under immense pressure in the second half, but they were up to the challenge, keeping Perth to just two goals in the second half.

The effort was enough for the Lions to go home with the four points, in a 12.9 (81) to 10.7 (67) contest.

The contest marked Subiaco’s 11th win in a row against Perth, a streak that has lasted since 2017.

Ruckman Lachlan Delahunty continues to show his presence in games, with 30 disposals and 21 hit outs, while midfielder Stefan Giro racked up plenty of the football with 34 possessions.

After Subiaco kicked the first goal through Liam Hickmott, the Demons returned serve with one of their own.

The game was played between the two arcs early, with both backlines standing up to the challenge.

However, when it rains, it pours, as the Lions kicked three in a row to get some breathing room on Perth.

A late fightback from the Demons saw Subiaco lead by 12 points at quarter time.

Perth came out with purpose in the second term, kicking a couple of majors early to level the scores.

It caused a lift in intensity, with both sides attacking the contest to try and get momentum on their side.

Ben Sokol was able to shift the narrative in the direction of Subiaco, with a big goal from beyond the 50 metre arc. 

From there the Lions looked to put the foot down, but were matched by the Demons’ defence. 

After several minutes of the ball rebounding in and out of Subiaco’s forward 50, Wil Hickmott was able to steady and kick truly.

A late surge from Perth meant it was game on, as they put on three goals in five minutes to lead by two points at half time.

More complications arose when Harry Marsh limped off the ground, meaning the Lions were down a rotation for the rest of the game.

Despite this, the third quarter belonged to the Lions, who took control of the match with the match in the balance.

Aaron Breman was able to find his way out of traffic and snapped for his second to lift Subiaco.

While Perth at times threatened to get back in the contest, the Lions’ defence was too strong, keeping their opposition goalless for the quarter.

Meanwhile, the Lions put on three more goals, including one after the siren from Lachie Vanirsen to give the maroon and gold a 20-point buffer at three quarter time.

After Demon Kristian Cary kicked his third, the game quickly became a case of Perth taking the game on, and whether Subiaco were good enough to hold them off.

The Demons had their chances up forward, but were unable to take full advantage as the Lions held strong down back. 

Borchet was in the action shortly after, putting through his third to increase Subiaco’s lead.

While Perth managed another major, the task was too tall, with the Lions taking the 14-point win.

It was a win for all three men’s grades, with the reserves taking a comprehensive 58-point victory, while the Colts were able to grind out an 11-point thriller earlier in the day.

The Lions will head to Optus Stadium in round nine, taking part in the AFL curtain raiser against West Coast on Saturday June 18.

PERTH    3.1    8.1    8.3    10.7    (67)
SUBIACO    5.1    7.5    11.5    12.9    (81)

Goals: Borchet 3; Breman, Vanirsen 2; Delahunty, Giro, L Hickmott, W Hickmott, Sokol.
Best: Delahunty, W Hickmott, L Hickmott, Giro, Vanirsen.