- Monday, 20 June 2016
The club is honouring their past with Neil Taylor’s ’86 and Marc Webb’s ’06 Subiaco champion teams coming together.
It’s the 30-year anniversary of the 1986 breakthrough celebrating an incredible comeback against East Fremantle. The Lions were comprehensively beaten by 50 points in the Semi final but engineered a famous 69-point win over the Sharks to take home the cup.
The 2006 success is a bit rawer and remains fresh in the memory. Subiaco only lost two games that year and went on to smash South Fremantle by 83 points in the Grand Final. Captain Marc Webb was given the Simpson Medal for best on ground. Current coach Jarrad Schofield also played in that side.
1986 PREMIERSHIP FACTS
- Six in 86 was the catch cry.
- Subiaco won Rodriguez Shield.
- SFC played Rd 14 game in Kalgoorlie and defeated West Perth by 46 points – 7139 people attended that game.
- Brian Taylor was runner up in Sandover Medal.
- Mick Lee won Reserves Prendergast Medal.
- Grant Robson won Colts Medalists Medal (now Jack Clarke Medal).
- 12 of the players are now Life Members - C Brown, D Lamb, P Lamb, R Willet, P Featherby, I Dargie, L Keene, A MacNish, N Taylor, T Breman, P Scott, B Taylor.
- Michael Carlile was President, Kevin Parry- Patron, Michael Flanagan – GM, Haydn Bunton was coach & Neil Taylor was captain.
- Laurie Keene – Club Champion, favourite for the Sandover Medal.
- Stephen Sells was the leading goal-kicker with 74 goals.
- Dr Ken Cullen became a life member.
- Who will forget the 2nd Semi Final that Subi lost by 50 points, with Darren Bennettt kicking 10 and Kevan Sparks reported & suspended for 2 weeks (being ineligible for the GF).
- In the Preliminary Final we won over Perth by 71 points.
- Western Underwriters & Channel 9 provided a premiership incentive of $200,000.
- Ted Doherty died that week & the players put a notice in the paper saying – “We’ll win this one for you, Ted”.
- Subi thrashed East Fremantle in the GF by 69 points.
- Mark Zanotti won the Simpson Medal.
- Haydn Bunton had fulfilled a commitment he made back in early 1970s that he would lead Subi to a premiership.
- 11 players were drafted from this team into the AFL.
2006 PREMIERSHIP FACTS
- Only lost two games all season
- Won the Rodriguez Shield
- Matt Priddis won the Sandover Medal with a record number of votes.
- Mark Haynes won the Outridge Medal and Trent Mckenna won the Blakemore Medal (reserves)
- Caine Hayes won the Simpson Medal in the State Game against South Australia.
- David Mapleston was the clubs leading goal kicker with (57 goals)
- Nine players are Life Members – J. Schofield, C. Cossom, A. Pickett, M. Webb, B. Keevers, L. Newick, A. Parker, T. Holmes & D. Rumble
- Neil Randall was President, Jeff Lind was CEO, Kevin Merifield was the Clubs Ball Legend, Peter German was coach and Marc Webb was captain.
- In the second Semi- Final we won over South Freo by seven points. We kicked seven goals in the final term to win by seven.
- Subi smashed South Fremantle in the Grand Final by 83 points.
- Marc Webb took home the Simpson Medal in the Grand Final